Friday, August 31, 2007

Do Over Day, Please!

I'm not sure what to call this post. Dead Beat Mom? My Mom will say that that title is too negative and I'm being too hard on myself.

ok ~ Try Again ~

Do Over Day

I'd love to be able to call a Do Over Day today...and on a whole the day would have rated A+ until around 3:30 when I was in the middle of picking up the kids.

My son, Quinn and I were off to pick up his sister from the Middle School. We had just spent the 45 min. between picking him up and getting her stopping by the pet store to pick up the Hermit Crab he got for his birthday. We picked "Hermie" out and headed to the middle school to get Batya. While waiting I held "Hermie" on my hand to the disputes of Quinn saying Mommy he has CLAWS and he will hurt you. Being the "MOM" I thought this would help him loose some of his fear. No problems!

Batya (my daughter) gets into the truck and looks at the crab. I take him outta his container to show her how "nice" he is and CLAMP he took his biggest CLAWS and snapped onto the soft part of my palm. Holy *%)$# it hurt!

My instinct kicked in here and I didn't think at all. To my children's horror I grabbed old Hermie and pulled him off my hand. Hermie shell-less when flying in the kids direction. Guts flew all over the snacks, Scholastic book form and truck seats. I grasped my hand in pain and realized what I had done.

At this point Quinn was balling out of fear but at the time I thought it was because I'd just KILLED his birthday gift Hermit Crab. Batya was screaming get it as Hermie drug half his body around the seat of the truck. I grabbed him and got him into the container and tried to calm everyone down. I prayed that I didn't kill him and that somehow the Hermit Crab GODS would look down and re-attach his shell half to his CLAW half. No such luck. Hermie died 45 min later in the comfort of his new established home.

I can't bare to go back to that pet store and face the employees when they see half Hermies lifeless body or wonder why I'm back for yet another Hermit Crab.

Am I the only Mommy that has acted out of such stupidity and carelessness? Even as I write this post I'm in tears yet again about the whole incident. The kids on the other hand seem fine but I know once they face the 2nd purchase it will come back like it was fresh. Well at least that is what my head tells me!

2 comments:

**** April **** said...

OH GIRL... I was in tears laughing at your description of the events coming up with all kinds of things to say about it... "he won't have the guts to do that again" but then when it's not me going through it it's always easier to appreciate the frustration. :( I'm so sorry... so are you going to get another one? :( I can SO see this entire scenario happening to me so I'm going to live and learn lady.. live and learn... and now have a perfectly wonderful reason for NOT getting a hermit crab for Josh! Hang in there...

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, that was a priceless story! You probably didn't scar your kids for life or anything, but you've given them a great story to tell their kids when they do something just like this. I mean, haven't we all? My youngest son squeezed a baby rat to death when he was 18 months old. He was "hugging" it. I think we all have horror stories, and yours is too funny! I hope your hand is okay!

Monthly Paper Crafting Newsletter
Email: